United States Military

Veterans Services

University of Atlanta’s Veteran Services Department experienced Veterans Affairs Certifying Officials who are dedicated to the University’s veteran students. The department also serves as a liaison between UOFA veteran students and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Our purpose is to help eligible veteran students understand their education benefits, provide guidance on procedural requirements, and to certify, monitor, and report enrollments to the Department of Veterans Affairs to ensure veterans receive their benefits in a timely manner.

Veterans Education Benefits

University of Atlanta offers a variety of programs of study approved for the training of veterans. Check with your admissions representative for a current listing of degree programs approved for Veterans Administration Education Benefits. VA education benefits are available to eligible students enrolled in approved programs. The Department of Veterans Affairs determines a student’s eligibility for educational benefits. Eligible students may call the VA at (888) 442-4551 (888-GIBILL1). The VA Web site www.gibill.va.gov also provides information on each veteran benefit, including Chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606, 1607 and the new Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), and the opportunity to ask questions and receive answers.

Please note: If you are eligible for more than one GI Bill benefit, like the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill, the Veterans Administration requires that you choose one benefit over the other. In many cases, this decision, once made, cannot be reversed. To help determine which benefit is right for you, visit:

Chapter 31: VA Vocational Rehabilitation Education Program

VA Vocational Rehabilitation is a program whose primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living. The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach his or her rehabilitation goal. These services include vocational and personal counseling; education and training; financial aid; job assistance; and, if needed, medical and dental treatment. Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.

A veteran may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) benefits if he/she:

• Received or will receive a discharge under other than dishonorable conditions;
• Incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability which entitles him/her to VA disability compensation; and
• Vocational rehabilitation is needed due to his/her service-connected disability creating an employment handicap.

An eligible veteran generally has 12 years from the date he/she is notified of entitlement to VA compensation to use his/her Chapter 31 benefits. The VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases.

Transcript Evaluation

Students using VA benefits must enroll into a degree program approved for Veterans Administration education benefits; therefore, VA students must have a complete evaluation of transfer credits.

Enrollment Certification

A Veterans Affairs Certifying Official (VACO) will certify a student’s enrollment to the VA once the student is enrolled. The student must complete VA Form 22-1990, VA Form 22-1995, Certificate of Eligibility (COE), or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

Concurrent Enrollment

While receiving VA educational benefits, students may be concurrently enrolled in two different institutions during the same enrollment period. Whichever school the student is pursuing a degree from will be the Parent School. Students using VA benefits must acquire an authorization letter from the VA Certifying Official at the Parent School addressed to the VA Certifying Official at the secondary school. This form states that the courses taken at the secondary school will be credited toward the current major the student is pursuing. Students using VA benefits are responsible for informing the secondary school’s Veterans Office where their Parent School is located. The secondary school will complete the certification for the benefits form (VA form 22-1999) and send it to the VA.

Satisfactory Progress

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the state of Georgia require schools to monitor a student’s progress. To demonstrate compliance, the VA Certifying Official (VACO) must perform satisfactory progress checks. In addition to maintaining satisfactory progress, students using VA benefits must also comply with all University policies, including the Satisfactory Academic Progress and Academic Probation and Termination policies.

If you have additional questions, call 1.800.558.1722 or e-mail studentaffairs@uofa.edu

Urgent Memo